Sunday 29 April 2012

CCDN271 Assignment 2 Hand In

CCDN 271, Assignment 2

Abstract and Argument



The Purpose of my research paper is to find out what makes people get attached to the everyday objects that they use in day to day life. Everyone has at least one basic object, which they use everyday and choose that object over other objects, which are designed for the exact same purpose. With this project, I will research why people are attached to these everyday objects and what makes them return to the same object over others.
Despite the huge variety of everyday objects, many more continue to be made with improvements, yet the same plain and simple versions of those objects are still the most popular. For example the plain bic pen is still one of the most purchased pens in stores. I will be finding out why people continue to use these objects, whether it is to do with its usefulness or the design of the object, or even if it just looks pretty. I believe that the results of my research paper will provide more insight into how these things could be improved but still be made appealing for the user. I will argue that in finding out what people like about these objects, it will help benefit the production of these products in the future.
I will be starting with Donald A. Norman’s (2004) book ‘Emotional Design: Why We Love (or Hate) Everyday Things’, and also draw on my own experience with everyday objects I like to use. I will also be conducting interviews with a variety of people to find out about everyday objects they use and why they like to use them. I am hoping to find out if there is a pattern, and what it is about the everyday objects that makes them so appealing and keeps people coming back to using the same objects.



Reference:
Norman, Donald A, Emotional Design: Why We Love (Or Hate) Everyday Things. New York: Basic Books, 2004

 


No comments:

Post a Comment